KaarWork University of Calgary
The Department of Sociology in the Faculty of Arts invites applications for a Research Assistant . This Fixed Term Recurring Part-time position is for approximately 11 months (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
The role will be working with both quantitative and qualitative data, using the computer programs such as NVivo, SPSS, Stata, and Excel, as well as bibliography software such as EndNote. A mastery of these programs, as well as the ability and past experiences in working with Masterfiles of Statistics Canada’s data available in the University of Calgary Research Data Centre is absolutely necessary. Fluency in Persian/Farsi – both written and oral is required. I n addition, the applicant will be involved in reviewing the academic literature for several different projects involving the integration of immigrants and ethnic minorities, multiculturalism, diversity, religion, etc.
Research Assistant will provide statistical and qualitative research support services to a wide range of projects. This position conducts statistical analyses, monitor trends, compile data, and prepare charts, graphs, summaries, and reports in support of the research activities. Work activities will also include supporting publication through literature review, assisting with grant proposals, preparing reports for presentation, and proof-reading research materials. This role will manage their own time effectively and ensures immediate reports to manager is kept informed of activities, and progress of work. Work is routinely reviewed by their supervisor or other leaders as needed.
This is a recurring part-time position, with an average of 16 hours of work per week; but the number of hours may fluctuate weekly based on the research needs.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Data Analysis and Report Generation
- Assemble data and prepare periodic and special reports, manuals, and correspondence
- Compile tables, charts, graphs, and summarized statistics for integration in research papers and reports. This includes materials for presentation and publication
- Process data using statistical software to conduct basic analyses of trends in support of the research project
- Collect, consolidate, cross-tabulate and format data from various sources to prepare draft reports
- Generate powerpoint presentations on behalf of Principal Investigator and research team, to be used when presenting to various internal and external stakeholders
- Generate various reports as required by Principal Investigator and research team.May require presentation of reports to various stakeholders
- Demonstrated strong communication and an ability to exercise judgment within established guidelines
- Provide mentoring and direction to others, when necessary
- Assist with presenting as required
- Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Sociology is required
- Fluency in Persian/Farsi – both written and oral is required
- Some research assistantship experience in a research focused post-secondary environment
- Advanced skills in statistical software programs (eg. SPSS, STATA) as well as the qualitative data analysis software, NVivo, and bibliographical program, EndNote
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability for professional report writing
- Knowledge of research ethics and regulations for granting agencies (eg. Tri Council)
- Ability to problem solve in complex situations
- Demonstrated strong communication, team and customer service skills, and an ability to exercise judgment within established guidelines
- Must be open to learning and development, and be willing to accept new challenges and assignments
- A positive attitude and the ability to work independently and as part of a team are critical to success
Application Deadline: April 11, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.